Search This Blog

Sunday, May 26, 2024

I, Frankenstein (2014) | Film Review

(Originally published on Letterboxd on February 14, 2014) - I'm not sure what Aaron Eckhart and Bill Nighy were thinking when they signed on to star in this turd, but I hope it comes with a huge summer home, because that's the only reason I could imagine they would participate in a crime like this.

Albeit, Bill Nighy has a history of starring in turds, and I wouldn't be surprised if he thought this was just another Underworld sequel and signed on out of blind loyalty, because it sure looked and felt like it wanted to be; Aaron Eckhart is another story.

I remember when he was starring in films like Erin Brockovich and Thank You for Smoking. Hell, it was only a couple of years ago that he played Harvey Dent in the instant classic, The Dark Knight. So, Aaron... what gives, brah? Did you lose a bet? Were you doing someone a solid? Did you see an image that looked really cool, and signed on blindly like Jeremy Renner which landed him in the middle of Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters? I mean, I don't get it.


Maybe you just wanted to get close to Yvonne Strahovski--which for most men would be reason enough--but at the sake of your career? You shouldn't be slumming it in movies like this, you should be co-starring alongside Matthew McConaughey in the upcoming Interstellar!

Not to be hyperbolic, but NEVER have I seen someone so determined to ruin a promising career as a leading man. His last few notable films have been: Battle Los Angeles, Olympus Has Fallen and now this. Not to say that those other films don't have their own kind of charm, but after winning over audiences and critics as Nick Naylor in Thank You for Smoking, I think it's fair to say we expected more.



No comments:

Post a Comment