Search This Blog

Sunday, May 26, 2024

The Three Stooges (2012) | Film Review

(Originally published on Letterboxd on February 26, 2014) - I grew up with the Three Stooges. While they weren't a constant, I definitely had knowledge of them as a child, and enjoyed what I saw. Then I grew up and sort of forgot about them.

Fast forward many years later and I find myself watching a film that I can't quite wrap my brain around. Part remake, part continuation, it's both a respectful homage and yet largely unfunny. 

While most of the jokes and general stooge slapstick fall flat, there is a charm at work that kept a slight smile ever present on my face. It's nice to see that someone thought enough of the work of the original group to attempt this film, even if it did ultimately prove that everything that makes the original Stooges so great was specific to their own time.


One thing I couldn't help but think about while watching this movie was how people would react if someone attempted this with the Marx Bros.? I'm sure if this film featured actors playing Groucho or Harpo, there may have been more push back.

Anyway, as far as slapstick comedies go, you could do a lot worse than this. While it ain't a classic by any stretch, it's heart is in the right place, and if you find nothing funny about it, at least you get Kate Upton in a Nun themed swimsuit for a couple seconds...not to mention Sofia Vergara. She honestly doesn't have to do anything to be worth watching.



No comments:

Post a Comment